"Paintings from a natural frame of mind"

Thursday, October 13, 2011

One Little Aspen

Plein Air - 10x12 Oil on Linen
I have spent the last couple of days out taking advantage of the great weather while we have it. Today I was feeling a bit adventurous and went down a trail that I've often stopped and viewed from the road but it looks a little treacherous to get down next to the water. My dog and I decided to give it a go, and it was well worth the little slide from the roads edge, after that it was a gorgeous treat for both of us for a few hours.  I am pleased with today's painting.

Sure hope the weather holds out for a while longer, I'm enjoying getting out and training my pup and my eyes to trust what I see, plus I'm not ready to paint snow just yet!

Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

Susie Galvin said...

Oh Kathryn,
Your " One Little Aspen" is a striking painting!!! Your colors are bright and clear..They don't look "muddy" at all..I couldn't believe you hiked down that path, AND BACK, with your art supplies and the dog~!!!.. You are one dedicated artist.. Beautiful painting...s

Kathryn Grider said...

Thank you Susie!! it was such a nice treat to see you and Amy up there while I was out. Thanks for coming up to check on me! It was a glorious day for sure. I had thought the painting looked muddy while I was out in the field but once I was back in the studio and took it out of the box it looked pretty good. I wasn't working for a pretty painting yesterday, solely concentrating on getting the correct values and colors mixed...and in the right places, I guess if you get it right you get a pretty painting! Ha!Go figure.

Michelle said...

Lovely. You will have to show us the spot you found with the rope swing