"Paintings from a natural frame of mind"

Friday, October 21, 2011

Maynard Dixon Painting attempt

The View

9x12 Oil
a photo of an article on Maynard Dixon


painting on the side of my studio with the view.
 I found an old article about Maynard Dixon and my first thought was to try to paint the Ruby Mountains with his style to see what happens. The scene of course is different but has all the same elements for color that I wanted to get.....I need a whole lot more practice, but dang is was fun to try it! 

Tomorrow is a New Day!  


Thanks for visiting.

5 comments:

R Yvonne Colclasure said...

Good job! His mountain could almost be the Rubies. I tried to update my blog and lost it twice before it posted. I gave up. The still life I painted at your house is starting to grow on me. I hope Sus and Amy enjoyed it as much as I did.

Susie Galvin said...

Boy, Kathryn...The painting is, once again, awesome..YOu did a fine job..Also the post is very interesting. I believe your interruption of the Rubies in the Maynard Dixon fashion is outstanding. You're a talented gal.. Thanks for the fun Thursday. Yes, Yvonne, we had a wonderful time at Kathryn's "art class"...

Kathryn Grider said...

Thank you Yvonne. I wish my approach could have been a bit closer to looking as nice as his, practice makes perfect. My still life painting is still a work in progress and I started another version of it from the opposite side of the room, a fun still life painting for sure. The "girls" and I did enjoy painting it together.

Kathryn Grider said...

Thanks Michelle!

Kathryn Grider said...

Your Welcome Susie! It is always a kick to paint with you girls!