"Paintings from a natural frame of mind"

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Jiggs Ranch House Study

8x8 Oil

A couple of weeks ago we went out to Jiggs to paint for the morning. I was so excited when I arrived
and saw the morning light on this old Ranch house built in 1914 originally for a Hotel but never used for that.
After getting my sketch book out and setting up all ready to paint I stood frozen ..... intimidated by the scene. I knew I just couldn't get it all into a painting with so much there, not to mention it's a structure that needs to be drawn with all the right angles!  After doing one sketch ....putting it aside and starting another sketch I finally settled down and thought about what was exciting for me about this house....the porch and the morning sunlight.  I was still worried it might look scary and gloomy with a dark shaded porch but I'm really very pleased with the way it turned out.

Thanks for Visiting!

6 comments:

Michelle said...

The lighting on the weeds in front make it not scary or gloomy for me :) just my 2 cents though :)

Kathryn Grider said...

Thanks Flutterbug! your 2 cents are always welcome.

Susie Galvin said...

Hey , Just beautiful...You sure are on the move...So proud of you..Really like this painting...

Janette Jones, Studio California said...

Love all your new work!!!! Looks like you are getting out a lot...you have sure captured the mood in this one!

Kathryn Grider said...

Thanks Susie!

Kathryn Grider said...

Thank you Janette!